IRD has now fixed all the problems with its policy for communicating with stakeholders by email.
The official policy is at http://www.ird.govt.nz/taxagents/working/comms-email/.
However that document doesn’t identify some other improvements identified in an internal IRD memorandum (I have a copy).
- A customer, agent or nominated person can give permission by telephone
- Subject lines should be meaningful
- IRD will reply to an email without deleting the original ‘string’
- Confidential material in an attachment can have an agreed password, but no zipping or ‘encryption’
- Working spreadsheets or other documents can be emailed if they make it easier for a case to progress (which of course it always will)
- IRD staff best practice recommends turning on ‘read receipts’ ,and where appropriate “out of office” messages (and we should extend the same courtesy
- All my earlier grumpy articles can now fade into history
Now to get IRD to stop blocking caller ID…..